clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Stoke City v. Bolton

62974998 First off, I’d like to apologize for the lack of posts in the last week. The Wigan match left a bad taste and watching Bolton - York City was impossible in the states. We couldn’t even get highlights until nearly three days later. Right, back to regular programming:

Bolton travel to Stoke this weekend for their second match against the Potters this season. The first meeting at the Reebok saw Ivan Klasnic net a late winner in second half stoppage time and get a red card shortly after. A short history is on the Trotters’ side in this one. In their last three trips to the Britannia, Bolton have run out winners twice with the scoreline being 2-1 both times. This includes the match late last season that essentially guaranteed Bolton’s survival in the top flight. The boys also like to leave it late, with goals coming after the 88th minute in each of the last three meetings.

In that match, Bolton had to fight back from a very early Dave Kitson goal. Matt Taylor stepped up to the plate and made himself the hero. An 85th minute free kick levelled the score and just three minutes later, Taylor found himself on the end of a Vladdy Weiss cross to win the match.

Stuart Holden and Gretar Steinsson are both questionable for the match. The two returned to training midweek but Owen Coyle has said that he will not play them until they are fully match fit. Holden suffered a thigh injury against Chelsea on December 29 and has been struggling to fully recover. Ivan Klasnic is expected to miss the match after coming off at halftime with a groin injury against York City. Lee Chung-Yong is also unavailable because due to Asian Cup duty.

Former Wanderer Eidur Gudjohnsen will miss the match with a neck injury while Mamady Sidibe is out with a hurt achilles.

The lads should be well rested as they will have had a full seven days without a match. Hopefully they can get back to their winning ways, leaving the Chelsea, Liverpool, and Wigan results as well at the first half of York City behind.