clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Muamba: "What happened to me was really more than a miracle."

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Getty Images

It's incredible that Fabrice Muamba is up and walking around today with no signs of brain damage after his heart stopped for 78 minutes a month ago. What's even more incredible is that the man hopes to get back on the pitch and he hopes to do it relatively soon. The Sun spoke to Fabrice this weekend in what was an emotional recapping of the events at White Hart Lane.

"I ran upfield to try and get on the end of a cross from Martin Petrov on our left wing and as I ran back into midfield I felt very slightly dizzy."

"It wasn't a normal dizziness - it was a kind of surreal feeling like I was running along inside someone else's body."

"Then I made another burst forward and noticed it again. Then my vision started to go. I had no pain whatsoever. No clutching at my chest.Then I started to see double. It felt almost like a dream. There was no one anywhere near me when I started to feel myself falling."

"The last thing I remember was our defender Dedryck Boyata screaming at me to get back and help out in defence. I just felt myself falling then I felt two thumps as my head hit the ground in front of me then that was it. Blackness, nothing. I was dead."

"Someone up there was watching over me. What happened to me was really more than a miracle. On the morning of the game I prayed with my father and asked God to protect me - and he didn't let me down."

The Telegraph included this detail about Fabrice's son, Joshua:

Muamba revealed that his first words on regaining consciousness in hospital were to ask for his son Joshua, three. He said that when his son then visited him, he almost caused a medical calamity by pulling on the network of wires attached to his father in hospital.

Muamba also discussed the defibrillator that was installed in his chest to hopefully prevent another emergency:

"It was weird. I was conscious when they fitted my chest with the defibrillator wired to my chest. And I was so relaxed I fell asleep."

"I can feel a metal plate under my skin in my chest above my heart so it feels like I've got two hearts instead of one."

Kevin Davies also commented on the whole thing:

"The lads are buzzing about the great news of Fab being discharged from hospital. We know he has a long way to go in his recovery but we are all looking forward to seeing him again, sooner rather than later."

There is a possibility that Fabrice will take in one of Bolton's last two home games at the Reebok with an emotional return against Spurs the likely candidate.

Get well soon, Fab.

Read the whole interview in the Daily Mail