clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

They Played For Both Clubs: Leicester - Ian Marshall

Chris looks at the one and only Ian Marshall

Gary M. Prior/ALLSPORT

Ian Paul Marshall was born in March 1966 in Liverpool.

He began his career with local side Everton in 1984. However he only made 15 appearances for the Toffees over four years, before being sold to Oldham Athletic for £200,000 where he began to make his name as a versatile defender and striker.

In five years at Boundary Park he made 170 appearances, scoring 36 goals under the stewardship of Joe Royle, who took the club to the 1990 Football League Cup Final versus Nottingham Forest, where they lost 1-0.

The next season, Oldham found success by winning the Second Division and returning to First Division for the first time in 68 years. In their first season back in the top flight, the club finished in 17th and became one of the founding members of the newly formed Premier League. Survival ensued, but two more seasons later Oldham faced relegation yet again and Royle left to take over at Marshall's former side Everton.

Marshall left Oldham to move to Ipswich Town in 1993 for a fee of £750,000. Predominantly played as a striker, he made 84 appearances for the side, scoring 32 goals along the way. His knack of being in the right place at the right time continued as this was when George Burley had taken over the club and began a run of success leading to their promotion to the Premier League.

However, by 1996 Marshall was again on the move as he was sold to Leicester City for £800,000, where he played for four seasons, scoring up 26 goals in 61 games.While at Leicester, Marshall was part of the 2000 League Cup winning team, coming on as a substitute in the final.

In 2000 he was signed by legendary Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce in a somewhat surprise move. Aged 34, Marshall defied his age by becoming a key member of the Wanderers' promotion winning side with valuable goals and contributions along the way, mainly from the bench.

After helping the Wanderers to the Premier League he went on loan to Blackpool, having made 38 appearances for and scoring six times for Bolton.

Marshall's loan was made permanent in January 2002. He only managed to scored once for Blackpool in 22 appearances, in a 2-1 defeat to Huddersfield Town in February 2002.

He captained the side for their victory in the final of the LDV Vans Trophy at the Millennium Stadium on 12 March 2002.

"I was carrying an injury and wasn't 100% fit, but I had decided to call it a day and I wanted to finish on a high, which I did. It was a great day, and night come to think of it, and it will be one I will never forget."

He retired from professional football in May 2002.

Ian is active on Twitter, and you can follow him @bigmarshy20.