clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Leicester City 5 Bolton Wanderers 3

An exciting first-half by Bolton eventually fell flat as Leicester took control and ended up on the winning side of an 8 goal match.

Matthew Lewis

Leicester City will be welcoming in 2014 with a four-point lead following today's game, while Bolton see themselves in continual danger. The Foxes were unchanged at home while Bolton were forced to make six changes following the returns of Kevin McNaughton to Cardiff City and Neil Danns to Leicester City.

What seemed like a slow start for Bolton after Leicester's Daniel Drinkwater found the bottom left corner of the net five minutes in was really just the beginning to a half that could only be described as insane.

Not even ten minutes later Bolton leveled thanks to Andre Moritz, who was assisted by Chung-Yong Lee. Soon after, Jay Spearing set up Jermaine Beckford for another goal and Bolton took the lead much to the amazement of the home team, fans, and the world.

As soon as they had the lead, Bolton seemed to focus and for the next fifteen minutes or so both sides attempted to maintain clear domination. Immediately following a booking for Alex Baptiste, Leicester leveled courtesy of Anthony Knockaert.

Within a mere three minutes, Bolton regained and then subsequently gave up the lead after a second goal by Moritz and an own goal by Matt Mills. A shot from Paul Konchesky was cleared by Tim Ream but the ball struck Mills on the head and flew back into the net.

The first half ended with Ritchie de Laet of Leicester being booked and the score level at 3.

During halftime Bolton Wanderers manager Dougie Freedman substituted Darren Pratley for Rob Hall and the second half picked up right where the first had stopped. Bolton came out looking stronger defensively as Leicester looked to dominate.

Jermaine Beckford attempted to get a second goal of his own before being called offside, and yet again both sides fell into a rhythm of blocking shots and taking corners.

Simultaneous bookings for Bolton's Zat Knight and Leicester's Jaime Vardy slowed down the momentum for both sides, allowing Freedman to replace Moritz with Mark Davies. Davies immediately came out shooting, having an attempt saved before Andy Lonergan eventually gave away a penalty. Davies was then booked and David Nugent of Leicester failed to capitalize on the opportunity, shocking homes fans as he had made 8 of his previous 9 attempts.

Saving the penalty didn't do that much good for Bolton however, as not even a minute later Lloyd Dyer put his side up 4-3, cutting into the penalty area and burying a shot into the far corner. Up by one for the time being, Leicester decided to make a substitution, replacing Nugent with Gary Taylor-Fletcher.

Bolton used their last substitution to send in Joe Mason for Medo Kamara and after a grouping of blocked shots, Leicester sent in Andy King for Vardy and Dean Hammond for Knockaert.

Still down by one, Bolton tried to make something else happen but Taylor-Fletcher had different ideas as he buried one into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Just like that, Leicester was up two.

Bolton scurried under pressure but it was too late.  A missed attempt by Mark Davies and a foul by Tim Ream sealed the game.

Although Bolton were in the lead twice, goals from Drinkwater, Knockaert, Dyer, Taylor-Fletcher an own goal from Mills gave the Foxes a 5-3 victory and their 15th win of the season.