clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Ipswich Town 1 Bolton Wanderers 0

Bolton were the better side for 90 minutes, but a very late goal from Carlos Edwards gave Ipswich Town a vital 3 points.

Maybe now I can ride the roller coaster!
Maybe now I can ride the roller coaster!
Chris Brunskill

Bolton were on a very good run of form coming into this match, and it is easy to see how after winning five on the trot a manager would not want to make many changes. Dougie Freedman made just one adjustment to the starting XI, rotating Davies, Kevin out and Davies, Craig in. Adam Bogdan, who has been out the past two weeks with injury, returned to the sub's bench. Andy Lonergan started again. I wouldn't read too much into this. Just because he is on the bench doesn't mean Bogdan is 100% fit.

Both sides looked good on the counter attack in the early portions of the match. Ipswich actually had the better chances, putting one header into the side of the net and forcing a save from Lonergan on another header. Bolton did not panic though. They held firm defensively, and managed to look dangerous when attacking.

By the 20 minute mark, Wanderers were actually edging possession, and desperately looking for an accurate final ball. Unfortunately for the Whites, it was Ipswich who found it first. Daryl Murphy was unmarked at the back post, but he made an absolute hash of it, and Bolton were let off the hook. In fact, as the half hour mark came and went, most would have agreed that Ipswich were looking the better side. Town finally won their first corner kick at the 38th minute, and Bolton were looking to be in great danger. David Ngog made his way back and managed to clear the threat.

The game got very scrappy as both sides upped their efforts to score before the break. Neither succeeded. A first half which could generously be called "unglamorous" ended 0-0.

Dougie must have got in his players' ears at the break, because they came out very aggressively in the second half. Alas, this was almost disastrous thanks to a Zat Knight error in the 50th minute. Luckily for him, Murphy botched the chance yet again. Other than that, Bolton really began to retain possession in the second half.

Kevin Davies came on for Craig Davies a few minutes later. Not a big tactical change, but at least Dougie was trying. Davies did manage to find Ngog in the box, but his header was just wide. Ipswich looked very unlikely to score at this point. Most Bolton supporters wanted Stu Holden to come on, but Dougie was not interested.

At the stroke of 90 minutes, when everyone had resigned themselves to a 0-0, the ball fell to Carlos Edwards in the Bolton penalty box. He got two bites at the apple, and managed to put the second one in the back of the net.

Ipswich Town, themselves fighting relegation, will be thrilled to have picked up a vital three points in such a dramatic fashion. If we're honest, this is not a huge blow to Bolton. Five points out of the playoffs with eight matches to go is certainly manageable, and the club were never going to win 15 in a row.

Freedman wanted the point though. He took off central defender Craig Dawson for striker Marvin Sordell and told his side to go for it. The only result of that was Daryl Murphy going 1-on-1 with the keeper. Andy Lonergan was up to it, and a good save kept the scoreline at 1-0. That was all she wrote.