clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dawson and Sordell help England U21s coast to victory over Austria (with highlights)

Bryn Lennon

England U21s' impressive streak continues. They have not only not lost a game in 16 months, they also have not allowed a single goal in that nine game stretch. The young Lions welcomed Austria to Brighton & Hove Albion's Amex Stadium in what was the final scheduled match before this summer's U21 European Championship.

Craig Dawson would captain the England side in the first half (he was replaced at the break after going the full 90 last Thursday) and put in a solid defensive shift, as he's been known to do. The game was very much back-and-forth throughout the first half, that is until the 40th minute, when a big decision from the referee finally opened the match up.

The ball was making its way to the area quickly when Austrian goalkeeper Richard Strebinger came to the edge of his area to clear it. The goalkeeper's footing wasn't secure and he slipped, handling the ball outside of the area. The referee showed him a straight red card. The resulting free kick was just outside of the area and Jonjo Shelvey powered it into the bottom corner of the net. England would double their advantage shortly after the halftime break through Josh McEachran, who (somewhat) calmly scored from the spot following an Austria handball in the box. The offender, Patrick Farkas, was shown his second yellow card and Austria were down to nine men.

Marvin Sordell came into the came in the 61st minute, replacing Jonjo Shelvey. Five minutes after entering the game, Marvin Sordell would score his first England goal in a long time. Sunderland man Connor Wickham made a marauding run into the area on his left hand side and played a short cross to Marvin Sordell, who was facing goal in the center of the area but drifted slightly wider. Sordell took the effort first time, putting it through the legs of the Austrian defender, and slotting home past the substitute Austrian goalkeeper. England would add a fourth and final goal a few minutes later through Wickham.

Sordell and Dawson will now head back to rejoin their Bolton Wanderers teammates ahead of Saturday's trip to Charlton Athletic.