clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Leicester City 3-2 Bolton Wanderers: Trotters not yet out of it

Matthew Lewis

It started so beautifully for Bolton Wanderers as they and 1,500 of their supporters traveled to the King Power Stadium on a Tuesday night.

It took just over a minute for the Trotters to make something happen. Chung-Yong Lee stormed into Leicester City's area and was brought down by Wes Morgan. Bolton's usual penalty-taking squad of Keith Andrews, Marvin Sordell, and Craig Davies were not in the starting lineup. David Ngog stepped up and fired right. It was a nervy split-second as Kasper Schmeichel got a hand on it and the ball hit the post before eventually bouncing into the back of the net.

Bolton Wanderers would not keep the impetus going in the first half and Leicester City would equalize with their own penalty kick on 40 minutes. Danny Butterfield (who had a largely awful game) was marking Lloyd Dyer. The midfielder tried turning Butterfield but was instead upended and the referee pointed to the spot. Chris Wood, who had not scored in nine matches, stood over it and fired home.

It only took two more minutes for the Foxes to go ahead. A long-range free kick saw Chris Wood take the ball on his chest, round Zat Knight, and find Lloyd Dyer. The man who drew the penalty scored a sumptuous goal and Leicester would go into the half a goal up.

The start of the second half was back-and-forth until Dougie Freedman took Josh Vela off and brought another striker on in Craig Davies. The big forward troubled Leicester City's Michael Keane for the whole of his stint and even rattled the crossbar from distance on the 60 minute mark.

Bolton would equalize on the 71 minute mark through Darren Pratley, after some poor defending from Leicester City. A long throw-in from the flank bounced in the box and Pratley took it with his right foot, finishing with aplomb to make it 2-2.

Leicester City weren't done though. On 79 minutes, a long-range Jeffrey Schlupp goal (that lad that Bolton tried signing on loan a few months ago) would make it 3-2. the Foxes throw in was flicked on by Chris Wood and Jeffrey Schlupp volleyed home from 20 yards, into the bottom corner of the net.

Bolton Wanderers would lose arguably their man of the match late on in David Ngog. The forward went down off the ball, holding his left leg and would have to be stretchered off while receiving oxygen. The injury meant that Dougie Freedman had to make a change and it was Tom Eaves on with only a few minutes to play.

A number of Bolton flurries, a few stonewall penalty shouts, and Bolton piling men forward could not do it for the men in white and the final whistle blew with the score at Leicester 3-2 Bolton.

Despite the loss, results went Bolton's way. The Foxes dumped Bolton out of the playoffs for the time being but the Whites remain on 63 points with Leicester City in 6th place on 64 points. Crystal Palace and Brighton & Hove Albion occupy the fifth and fourth spots, respectively, on 66 points.

The Trotters are by no means out of it.