clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Memorable Match: Bolton Wanderers v Nottingham Forest

Wanderers meet Forest this Saturday, so we've tasked Chris with looking back at a recent fixture between the two...

Laurence Griffiths

August 2012, and Bolton Wanderers under manager Owen Coyle had begun their first season back in the Championship following relegation the previous season.

The season did not get off to the best of starts, with Bolton losing their opening game of the season away to Coyle's former club Burnley. Goals from Martin Paterson and Charlie Austin gave the home side a 2-0 win which left Bolton in the relegation zone.

Three days later, Bolton played their first home game of the season, against Derby County where late goals from Kevin Davies and Chris Eagles brought about our first win of the season.

That Friday night, and in front of the Sky cameras, Bolton welcomed Nottingham Forest to the Reebok for the first time since a 2001 League Cup tie in which Bolton prevailed with a single goal from ex-Leeds man Rod Wallace.

Forest started the brighter, and opened the scoring on 15 minutes through a wonder-striker from midfielder Lewis McGugan, who shook off Keith Andrews and launched a 30-yard ripper past Adam Bogdan.

Bolton came back into things through dangerman Chris Eagles. Forest's Greg Halford came close to scoring an own goal with his head via an Eagles' cross from the left. It would be Eagles who brought Bolton back into the game when Kevin Davies' header rebounded from Lee Camp's left post, and the former Burnley winger converted beyond the helpless goalkeeper.

It was Marvin Sordell who had the first shout of the second period. Within moments, Davies outmuscled the hapless Halford and played the ball to his partner, whose finish beat Lee Camp courtesy of a post. Sordell should then have had a second goal but his close-range effort was blasted over.

Just after half-time, Marvin Sordell slotted home his first goal for Bolton to give us a 2-1 lead. He would prove less clinical shortly after when he missed when in a promising position following more good work from Eagles.

Bolton would regret that miss within minutes as Blackstock's header was moved on by Cox and Andy Reid's surge from midfield ended in the equaliser.

The game soon petered out and finished with a 2-2 draw, one which improved Bolton's league placing by one position to thirteenth.

Owen Coyle:
"We grew into the game and played at a higher intensity, but we should have put the game to bed at 2-1.
"My frustration is that we've gifted a soft second goal. Fair play to Andy Reid, though, because it was a great goal.
"We showed a lot of character but there is an element of frustration because we have terrific players who are pleasing on the eye, but we need to stop gifting goals."

Sean O'Driscoll:
"I'm pleased with the spirit. I think we lost our way in the first half and we tried to get to half-time without conceding, but it didn't happen.
"Both sides could have won. The game became like a five-a-side match when they could have scored and we could have scored.
"However, we were away from home and are in transition trying to formulate a team. There were both positives and negatives to take from the game."


Bolton Wanderers
Adam Bogdan, Tyrone Mears, Matt Mills, Zat Knight, Sam Ricketts, Chris Eagles, Keith Andrews, Mark Davies, Chung-Yong Lee, Kevin Davies, Marvin Sordell (Benik Afobe - 68' )

Subs - Andy Lonergan, Marcos Alonso, Tim Ream, Martin Petrov, Gregg Wylde, Josh Vela, Benik Afobe

Nottingham Forest
Camp, Harding, Collins, Halford, Moloney, Gillett, Guedioura (Hutchinson - 81' ), McGugan (Greening - 90' ), Reid, Cox, Blackstock

Subs - Evtimov, Hutchinson, Lascelles, Greening, Majewski, McGoldrick, Derbyshire

Referee: Whitestone
Att: 17,361