clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Bolton Wanderers 3 v Bury 2

After being humiliated on Saturday at Watford, the Whites took on Bury in the Capital One Cup at the Macron Stadium to see if their fortunes could turn around.

Jan Kruger

In short, our fortunes did turn around in terms of the result, however, our attacking creativity was at it's practically non-existent best.

After our defeat against Watford on Saturday, in which we conceded three times, Dougie Freedman said that our poor defending in that game was uncharacteristic, we then proceeded to concede twice against a much weaker team than our opponents on Saturday, again raising yet more questions about our defensive stability.

With Adam Bogdan back in net along with some of our young guns starting at RB and ST, Oscar Threkeld and Conor Wilkinson respectively, there were many who thought we had fielded a good side, but they were soon to be disappointed with the opening half an hour of the game.

Right from the offset it was clear that the game which we had hoped would be a walk in the park, was not going to be such. Bury had consecutive corners right at the start, which were both comfortably dealt with by the Wanderers, but they made our fans rethink the game ahead.

In the opening 15 minutes we had no immediate danger to our own goal from the Bury front line to speak of, unfortunately the same could be said for us, no threats whatsoever from our men up top, the most our official twitter account could muster was Rob Hall's hacked cross, and a few long range shots from Bury's Lowe and a wild effort from Hussey, the pick of the action.

More of the same would have been the preferred choice of anyone involved with the wanderers for the next ten minutes given the choice in hindsight, but no. On the 22nd minute mark, Bury took the lead. A slip at Left back let Tutte get a low cross in from the right hand side of the area, to the back post,  where an eager Ryan Lowe was waiting for a tap-in into the roof of the net.

Little happened in the immediate aftermath of the goal, After thirty minutes had passed Rob Hall latched onto a Liam Feeney cross, only to fire over. Bury then came to take the game to Bolton, Lowe hitting the side netting and Wheater getting and important block on a driven shot from Tutte. In the lead up to half time the only thing to speak about is the chance Beckford had to equalize, only to see his shot blocked by the Bury keeper. I didn't get my hopes up too high for that one, if I'm honest, and we walked into Half time 1-0 down.

The start of the second half saw the return of former Bolton keeper, Rob Lainton, along with fresh hopes he'd have a disastrous return. The next 20 minutes both teams exchanged chances in front of goal, pulling out good stops from both keepers. The game then died down somewhat, with Bolton seeing the lion's share of the ball but Bury defending well.  The final 25 minutes saw Beckford miss chance after chance, much to the frustration of the Bolton faithful, and by the time the fourth official came to tell us how many added minutes there were going to be, many of our fans had gone home, a poor decision. The 6 minutes were met, with mostly surprise really, but probably justified due to the lengthy time one Bury player was down injured. Wheater continued to play upfront , but nothing went Bolton's way. Until the 96th minute, Craig Davies brought down in the area, penalty Bolton, the pressure kick was converted by Craig Davies much to the annoyance of the Bury fans, players and coaches.

The damage done in extra time was all done in the first period. A Bolton corner which cruelly deflected off a Bury body into their own goal in the 95th minute, 2-1. A  third was added by a superb Danns free-kick just two minutes later. Bury then pulled one back to make it 3-2 in the 99th minute, leading to much suspense for the second half. Truth be told the second half wasn't one to remember, little action occurred, especially from Bury's perspective, the referee then blew his whistle to end the game.

We certainly survived a scare, but that type of performance will not go unpunished by Saturday's visitors, Nottingham Forest. A lot to ponder on, Mr. Freedman.