clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: MK Dons 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers


Pete Norton/Getty Images

In this funny old game of football, the team who scores more goals than the other is usually the victor. This is something that Bolton struggle to do sometimes, particularly this time. Wanderers' reluctance to shoot was clear again today as frustrated fans watch a disappointing defeat.

The most promising chance of the game fell to young Zach Clough, who volleyed the ball hard into the centre of the goal only to be palmed away by the keeper. MK Dons' goal came in the 63rd minute as *name* poked the ball into the bottom right corner past a stretching Ben Amos and an off balance Lawrie Wilson.

In the opening period, Bolton applied early pressure and got the ball forward. Liam Feeney was frequently caught offside, however, which interrupted the flow of the game. Bolton's first chance in the game came when a Dean Moxey corner found the head of Prince Desir-Guano, resulting in a goal kick. MK Dons did push down the right hand side and forced Amos to make a couple of saves.

Then came the Clough volley as a chance was created by with Gary Madine teeing up the ball from a long Mark Davies ball. It was a good reaction save from the keeper. Then came a long run of corners which never met their mark.

Then came half time and Bolton kicked things of, attacking the away end. It was all Whites as players pushed forward but no one wanted to do anything with the ball. Frequently, the ball would be passed around 30 yards away from the box with no forward thinking. Clough would frequently find himself the target of poorly placed crosses, never winning the header on account of his height.

Then, in a counter attack, the Dons got a few men forward and it was 2 on 3 as Wilson, Prince and Dorian Dervite tracked back. *name* was able to convert, to the visible displeasure of Amos, who started shouting.

Fans' frustration grew as possession was squandered, culminating in a volley of abuse directed at Feeney after a terrible cross. He was taken of a few minutes later and replaced by Emile Heskey.

Throughout the game their had been some poor decisions by the ref, going in the favour of both teams.

In the closing minutes of the game, Wanderers threw everything but players willing to shoot forward. Heskey got his head onto crosses like no one else had in the entire game but failed to convert. Wanderers almost went 2 down in the final seconds as a quick MK Dons counter attack left Amos exposed, however the shot was well wide.