clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Bolton Wanderers vs MK Dons

Bolton followed up a home draw against Southend United win another home draws against likely promotion contenders MK Dons. A Mark Beevers opener was cancelled about by Wigan loanee Ryan Colclough shortly after half time.

Nathan Stirk/Getty Images

Dean Moxey's questionable performances at left back saw him dropped for another former Latic Andrew Taylor and the injured Gary Madine was replaced by the industrious Jamie Proctor.

The was a real aura of positivism around the club and the only unbeaten EFL side looked to attack from the off.
It was not long before the Whites made their early pressure count as a Jay Spearing corner was emphatically converted by Mark Beevers after a lovely knock down by Jamie Proctor. It all looked easy for Bolton Wanderers as they aimed to consolidate their position at the top of the league (I enjoyed typing that).

The goal in the short term acted as a catalyst for Bolton as James Henry looked to get on the ball as often as possible but unfortunately could not really affect the game. Despite the half-chances created by the Wanderers it was MK Dons who really begun to control proceedings. Dons' full backs Lewington and Baldock particularly were effective as they begun to roam into central locations.

In the end, Bolton were wishing for half time to come as MK Dons grew more confident. Bolton were playing relatively well, just Dons were in the ascendancy and whilst MK created a few chances to level the match, Bolton got into the dressing room ahead.

I hadn't finished my pint by the time MK had leveled. Wigan Loanee Ryan Colclough seemed to run the ball into the net as Dons seemed to begin to target Lewis Buxton who was evidently struggling. Colclough's goal was a deserved reward for MK's endeavour and it set the second half up nicely.

What followed was quite a frantic game as MK Dons quality began to shine through, it's quite surprising how poor a start they have had this season. Bolton also had quite an edge to the their game and looked dangerous every time they ventured forward with their play focused in and around the hard-working Jamie Proctor.

The next flashpoint in the game was perhaps the most critical. Bolton fullback Lewis Buxton was adjudged to have fouled Keiron Agard in the penalty area and MK Dons had an opportunity to fire themselves in front. After a brief delay as Bolton contested where the foul was committed, Wanderers 'keeper Mark Howard saved spectacularly from Agard to preserve Wanderers unbeaten record.

Bolton had introduced Newcastle loanee Sammy Ameobi prior to the penalty decision and the gangly forward took time to get into the game but eventually dragged proceedings into Bolton's favour. Despite may opportunities all revolving around the star man, Bolton could not find a way through and the game finished goalless.

Phil Parkinson's Bolton Wanderers next face Walsall away from home as they hope to end their little stutter against the struggling midlanders before Parky faces his former club Bradford City in a game that already feels like one of the biggest this season


Bolton: Mark Beevers 7'
MK Dons: Ryan Colclough 54'


Bolton: Howard, Buxton , Wheater, Beevers, A Taylor, Spearing, Vela, Trotter, Henry, Proctor, Anderson
Substitutes: Moxey, Taylor, Alnwick, Derik, Ameobi, Wilson, Thorpe

MK Dons: Martin, Baldock, Walsh, Downing, Lewington, Reeves, Upson, Potter, Colclough, Bowditch, Agard
Substitutes: Carruthers, Williams, G Williams, Powell, Nicholls, Tshimanga, Maynard