clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Swindon Town

Bolton stay third as they lose their first game of 2017

Bolton Wanderers saw their longest league winning streak for nearly four years come to an end, losing surprisingly 2-1 to struggling Swindon Town.

Despite Andrew Taylor, Josh Vela and James Henry all being doubts going into the game, Phil Parkinson once again selected an unchanged side.

Bolton started the game brightly, with Zach Clough forcing Swindon goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux to make a great save inside two minutes. Minutes after, Clough again had a shot saved by Vigouroux.

Wanderers continued to create chances, as James Henry shot wide after neat build up play from Mark Beevers and Gary Madine.

Zach Clough then had another opportunity to give Bolton the lead, but saw his free kick from just outside the box well saved by Vigouroux.

At the other end, Andrew Taylor produced a wonderful block to deny on loan Chelsea striker (who was once linked with a move to the Macron) Islam Feruz a goalscoring opportunity.

And that was it for the first half. The second half started much like the first, with Vigouroux on hand again to deny Gary Madine, and then Zach Clough.

From the resulting corner in the 48th minute, Wanderers took the lead. Jay Spearing's delivery was volleyed home in spectacular style by David Wheater for his fourth goal of the season. 1-0 Bolton.

Wanderers were nearly two ahead five minutes later. Vigouroux, who had already made several saves, somehow saved James Henry's header at the far post.

Gary Madine then fired over, before Bolton were made to pay for not extending their lead in the 65th minutes. The ball found it's way to Swindon's Ben Gladwin, who rifled home the equaliser from distance. 1-1.

Swindon nearly took the lead minutes later, but Town midfielder Yaser Kasim somehow fired the ball over from inside the box.

Kasim was almost made to rue that miss when just a minute later, James Henry struck the post, and then Josh Vela saw his shot deflected over the bar.

Looking for the win, Phil Parkinson decided to bring Max Clayton on for Tom Thorpe, with Josh Vela dropping back into centre midfield.

With the game still in the balance, Charlie Colkett's volley was blocked majestically by Mark Beevers in the 77th minute.

James Henry then dragged a shot wide, and then Wanderers were punished for missing several chances when Swindon completed their turnaround in the 89th minute.

After previously missing a golden opportunity to gift Swindon the lead, an unmarked Yaser Kasim volleyed home from close range. 2-1 Swindon.

Jamie Proctor then replaced Lawrie Wilson, however it was too little too late.

Wanderers stay third in the league, five points behind Scunthorpe United and six behind league leaders Sheffield United.

Next up for The Trotters is a trip to Selhurst Park on Tuesday night to face Big Sam and Chungy's side Crystal Palace in the FA Cup 3rd round replay.