clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Immediate Reaction: Coventry 2-2 Bolton Wanderers

Wanderers dominate possession but can only manage a draw at the Ricoh

Coventry City v Bolton Wanderers - Sky Bet League One Photo by Chris Vaughan - CameraSport via Getty Images

Bolton had to settle for a point at the Ricoh Arena, but could easily have left the Midlands with nothing today. Much like the Scunthorpe fixture on Boxing Day, an injury time goal made the difference, with the returning Max Clayton scoring a dramatic equaliser in the 91st minute. However, much like the Shrewsbury game, and others before it, Wanderers weren't at their best.

Wanderers made three changes from the dramatic Boxing Day victory against Scunthorpe United: Derik started in the place of the injured Lawrie Wilson, with Liam Trotter and James Henry taking the places of Tom Thorpe and Zach Clough, who both dropped to the bench.

Very little of note occurred whatsoever in the first half, Wanderers coming closest with a Derik Osede shot which was fired wide across the Coventry box. James Henry fired a free kick over. Those half chances aside, Wanderers failed to test Coventry keeper Lee Burge. Coventry were similarly void of ideas, but that was soon to change with little less than ten minutes remaining in the first half.

Coventry managed to open the scoring in the 37th minute of the first half, when Marcus Tudgay found himself unmarked to score following some good work from debutant Stuart Beavon, who was a constant thorn in the side of the Wanderers defence.

The second half began in similarly turgid fashion, both sides putting in something of a lethargic performance, as can be expected just two days after both sides played their last fixture. With half an hour to play, James Henry and Liam Trotter were replaced by Zach Clough and Max Clayton, who were to change the game immeasurably.

Parky's substitutions seemed to bring the game to life, and Zach Clough sent the 1,700 away fans into raptures when he slotted home a penalty won by Gary Madine in the 66th minute. Wanderers were only level for three minutes, however, when Beavon got his debut goal.

All hope seemed lost - Wanderers pushed forward, with little chance of a breakthrough. Parky took one final throw of the dice, bringing Jamie Proctor on for right back Derik Osede. However, a wayward Zach Clough volley mysteriously found Andy Taylor, who slid the ball to Max Clayton in the box. Clayton, returning from another lengthy injury lay off, made no mistake, firing home with three minutes of injury time left. Wanderers tried to force a winner in the later stages, with Gary Madine missing a guilt edged chance with just one minute left to play.

It was another exciting finish, with Wanderers picking up a point at the death in a game they dominated without creating much in terms of chances. With results for Sheffield United, Scunthorpe, Bradford and Rochdale going against us, a point has rescued some solace from what could have been a disappointing day.

Next up, the visit of Sam Allardyce's Crystal Palace and Lee Chung-Yong in the FA Cup 3rd Round.